Sunday 12 February 2012

Man on The Street - Valentine's edition



It’s that time of the year again to play some Sade or England Dan and John Ford Coley while you and your better half cozy up with a bottle of Pinot Noir or just put on Anthony Minghella’s Truly Madly Deeply.


In that spirit, we here at Le Scenester decided to bug some of the old hipsters and some of the young ‘uns for this Valentine-themed Man on the Street with the following two questions:
1. What's your current ear candy or eye candy for 2011?
2. Who are you swooning over (for Valentine's Day)?

Here are their answers:

Bubu de Ocampo
New Zealand-based art student, Handlebar Moustache enthusiast and bassist for Through the Lens
Current Ear Candy
Top 2011 Albums I've heard (not much I'd say, since the others are from NZ) in order:
1. Dirty Beaches - Badland
2. tUnE-yArDs - w h o k i l l
3. The Bats - Free All The Monsters
4. Junica - Junica EP,
5. Beastwars - Beastwars
Swooning over New order. February is for New Order. Really can't wait for that one show in Auckland. Another plus to that is Hooky's going to perform JD's Closer album in April.

JJ Yulo
Flasher chef and founder of Pinoy Eats World
Top 5 music that I got turned onto in 2011:
1. Bon Iver
2. Fitz and The Tantrums
3. Spangle Call Lilli Line
4. Toe
5. Takagi Masakatsu
Who/What do I swoon for: them Micro 4/3 Cameras, Iza Calzado, and Scarlett Johansson - preferably altogether. ;p

Glaiza De Castro
Vocalist for Through The Lens and other stuff
Current Ear Candy
5. Rachel Yamagata’s Even If I Don’t
4. Joy Formidable – Whirring
3. Rakenrol
2. Little Dragon – Ritual Union
1. SBTRKT – Young Turks
Swooning for an out of country getaway! Music Festival maybe

Carlo Reyes
Pre-school teacher who wears his heart on his sleeve
Eye Candy
1. Drive
2. Insidious
3. Warrior
4. 50/50
5. Hall Pass
Swooning over my students. Seeing them everyday gives me great joy, seeing them learn makes me feel ecstatic, gives me purpose. I love them not only V Day but all year round. Spread the love.

Ean Mayor
Sampler, Drummer and all around beat tech for that band you drop when trying to bag those nerdy Lilith Fair type chicks, Up Dharma Down.
Ear Candy
1. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
2. Crazy P - When We On
3. Junior Boys - It’s All True
4. Little Dragon - Ritual Union
5. Tahiti 80 - The Past, The Present and The Possible
Swooning over.. My new Roland SPD-SX! She's even prettier when she lights up!

Nikki Marzoña
Fresh anthropology graduate who now works in the news room.
Ear Candy
1. Pale Saints – Kinky Love
2. Brightside – Incurable Romantic
3. Life Without Buildings – The Leanover
4. Ivy – Kite
5. Dislocation Dance – Show Me
Eye Candy
1. The Thin Red Line, Malick, 1998
2. Interiors, Allen, 1979
3. Down by Law, Jarmusch, 1986
4. Kes, Loach, 1969
5. Yearning, Naruse, 1964
Swooning Over…my shiny new iPad

Malek Lopez
Hentai critique.
Current Ear Candy
1. Salyu
2. Stepkids
3. Fourtet
4. Daedelus
5. Alva Noto
6. Komeda
7. Mount Kimbie
8. Ryoji Ikeda
9. Jim O’Rourke
10. Yoko Kanno
Swooning Over…My fiance'

Ponchie Buenavista
Political pundit,kinda into Xtreme sports, lover boy and resident Wooderson (Dazed and Confused) of Terno Inferno. Oh and he fronts this small band called Encounters with a Yeti
Current Ear and Eye candy
TOP 10 Movies I've seen this 2011 (not in order)
1. The Tree of Life
2. X-Men: First Class
3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
4. The King's Speech
5. Crazy, Stupid Love
6. Thor
7. The Change-Up
8. Moneyball
9. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
10. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

2011 Music (not in order)
1. Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - Mogwai
2. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse
1. Swooning over (not in order)
2. Olivia Wild (The Black Donnellys phase)
3. Penelope Ann Miller (Biloxi Blues phase)
4. Michelle Monaghan
5. Maggie Q
6. Adrenalin III Guitar Multi-Effects Processor

*subject to change without prior notice


Francis Lorenzo
The bearded drunkard who gives out random Bacardi shots during Terno Inferno. Ringmaster and Sleepwalk Circus frontman.
10. Warrior - This bromance flick is the best movie of 2011 even if you are not a fan of MMA.
9. Breaking bad - If I could hand out personal Emmy awards, I would definitely hand one out to Gus
8. Bjork - Although filled with off timings and an unecessary App, there's something about this woman I just can't hate.
7. Iceland music - That being said I am a sucker for music from Iceland. (Olafur singles, Jonsi singles etc etc)
6. Archer & Community - I will place this both in the same slot as they are both most likely the best shows you aren't watching.
5. Indonesia - Upon my returning visit I sort of remembered why I was so heartbroken to have left it in the first place.
4. Encounters with a Yeti yet to be named album - Technically an album that was completed in 2011 with a TBA status. It has been a long winding 20 year road (With amazing distance covered in 2011)
3. Musical Gear - I look forward to this every year. Plus there are like 4+ major trade shows where all these companies announce new things so it will always be in my 'top' list every year!
2. Science - With many significant scienfic findings such as that exoplanet (or the "2nd earth"), faster than light neutrinos, advances regarding the Higgs Boson and etc. I may actually still have hope for the human race. Oh how I wish I was clever enough to contribute.
1. Completion of the Ringmaster solo album. Born of stubbornness & cynicism, do watch out for that one.
I will swoon for any girl I find fit to be my ring-mistress (aka a lady with my exact musical compatible who can actually carry a tune. In strategy, I am scheming for a musical apprentice)

Ric Sekreto
Heartbroken
1. Melissa Manchester – Midnight Blue
2. Atlantic Starr – If Your Heart Isn’t In It
3. Stacey Lattisaw – Love on a Two Way Street
4. Seduction – Could This Be Love
5. Klymaxx – I miss You
Swooning over..Ina Feleo

No comments:

Post a Comment