Sunday 5 August 2012

Nostalgic in Ermita Part 4: Midtown Inn Diner




Part 4: Midtown Inn Diner: The Place for a Strong Brew

Feeling a bit down trodden at this point (after seeing the Aroma Café in such a state), I decided to inspect another place where I used to go for straight-black coffee. The Midtown Inn Diner on Padre Faura was still open for business.

These days however I have stopped drinking coffee due to heart burn and acid reflux so all I ordered was an ice tea. The refreshment lifted my spirits and helped me cool down after enduring the heat and the traffic outside.

This diner (see the two photos above) featured a nifty set of Bunsen burners with which they would brew your coffee right in front of you while you waited. I would go here often after having come from Solidaridad to get my caffeine fix to aid me in absorbing the opening chapters of whatever pieces of literature I had just purchased.

The old seedy characters that I would often come across here still inhabited the place. On my left was an intelligent sounding guy pitching some sort of scheme to two ladies. Behind me on my right was a grey haired man who seemed out of place, but then again, looked so comfortable in this setting. When I came in, I got a few stares, and the place fell silent for awhile. Afterwards, as I strode to the counter, everyone returned to their business.

Next--Nostalgic in Ermita (Part 5: Hizon's Bakery)

4 comments:

  1. True! Whenever I go to Solidaridad I drop by here too, before I head out to walk around ermita. What I really like about this place: nothing fancy, nothing pretentious. You see folks coming in from work, and not to mention the shady characters! But it's okay! The last time I went there (I was in a super foul mood), the waiter gave me another fill of brewed coffee for free! Hahaha! Not bad for being grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful anecdote, noothecity. What you said about this place applies to Ermita at large (except for the new Robinson's place).

      Delete
  2. Midtown Modern Margaret Ville Condo by MCL. Hotline 61234567. New Launch Queenstown Condo in Singapore. Get Direct Developer VVIP Pricing, Floor Plan, Discounts & more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Midtown Modern Margaret Ville Condo by MCL. Hotline 61234567. New Launch Queenstown Condo in Singapore. Get Direct Developer VVIP Pricing, Floor Plan, Discounts & more.

    ReplyDelete